Recent IT Initiatives from Indian Railways
Indian railways have been pioneer in using technology to improve efficiency and services. In the current budget allocation, Rs5,000 crore has been dedicated to IT and research. Let’s take a look at the initiatives rolled out in recent times:-
- Railways have extended the station-based e-catering service to 408 stations giving passengers with more food choices.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) have announced a tie-up with a private chain of hotels for providing standardized accommodation to train travelers – the aim is to offer a convenient booking platform. The partnership will facilitate OYO to power the IRCTC hotel-booking page, offering their inventory and promise of standardized amenities to passengers
- Indian Railways has also launched web-based management system to monitor track maintenance and inspection online. This is a great achievement to monitor the track on real time basis.
- The Railway Ministry launched handheld terminals for Northern Railways travelling ticket examiners (TTEs), which means that TTE will no longer be required to carry reservation charts on trains.
- The ministry has also launched a facility for E-booking of disposable linen on trains. Scheme offers a bedroll kit packed in a non-woven fabric bag consisting of one pillow and two cotton bed sheets at Rs.140 while the other costing Rs.110 offers a single blanket in a non-woven bag (inclusive of all taxes).
- Setting up Wi-Fi at 400 stations in next 2 years.
- Coin-cum-card operated automatic ticket vending machines at New Delhi railway station, under which a passenger gets ticket quickly under five minutes. These ticket vending machines shall be installed at all the major stations in the country.
- A knowledge portal with detailed information on Indian Railways has been launched. Website URL is kportal.indianrailways.gov.in.
- In order to bring transparency and efficiency, railways launched a web portal for the e-tendering process.
- ‘utsonmobile’ mobile app was launched for paperless unreserved ticket booking.